Physical well-being is the ability to maintain a healthy quality of life that allows us to get through our daily activities without undue fatigue or physical stress. The ability to recognize that our behaviors have a significant impact on our well-being and adopting healthful habits (routine checkups, a balanced diet, exercise, etc.) while avoiding destructive habits (tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc.) will lead to optimal physical well-being.
Physical well-being resources
Make it easy for your employees to stay healthy with convenient online seminars
Our online learning seminars are available to help educate your employees about steps they can take to work toward a healthier lifestyle and to empower them with the knowledge and motivation to do so. Each course takes approximately 25 minutes and includes interactive quiz questions, additional resources, and a certificate of completion.
Your employees can choose from a variety of topics based on their needs and interests
Online seminars for your employees:
- Taking Care of Your Body: Exercise: In this online seminar participants will learn about the benefits of an active lifestyle, strategies for creating an effective exercise program, and tips for getting started and staying motivated.
- Taking Care of Your Mind: Stress: In this seminar employees will learn what causes stress, how stress impacts health, and how to beat stress with coping skills and relaxation techniques.
- Reading Food Labels: This seminar will teach participants how to analyze nutrition information, identify important nutrients, and spot unhealthy ingredients and allergens so they can make healthier food choices.
- Healthy Heart: In this seminar employees will learn about the different types of heart disease, how to identify risks and symptoms, the benefits of a heart-healthy Mediterranean diet, as well as other steps they can take to reduce their risk of heart disease.
- Know Your Numbers: This online seminar will teach participants how to identify their total number of risk factors such as blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose, weight, and other lifestyle risk factors. Employees will learn how they can change those risk factors to reduce their likelihood of developing chronic disease and work towards better health.
- Tobacco Cessation: In this online seminar participants will learn the behavior change behind quitting, which method of tobacco cessation is right for them, how to create a plan to quit that works, and the best ways to combat setbacks.
Boost employee productivity with self-guided videos
Led by a certified wellness coach, certified yoga instructor, and mindfulness practitioner, these mindful meditation and desk yoga series videos help reduce stress and boost productivity.
Take the mystery out of meditation and yoga with easy-to-follow videos
- Mindful Meditation: It’s easy to get distracted by thoughts of the past or worries about the future during the work day. Mindful meditation may help your employees stay focused on the present. These simple guided meditations help individuals tune in to their senses, reduce stress, and become centered. With regular practice, your employees may even notice an increase in concentration and creativity.
- Desk Yoga: No time or accommodations for a yoga class? Good news: your employees can enjoy the mental and physical benefits of yoga right from their chairs! This series of brief yoga sessions target different areas of the body with moves that can be performed easily and discreetly at a desk. These videos can help undo the stress of the workday and revitalize the body after sitting for long periods of time.
Introduce well-being topics with short, easy-to-follow videos
Promote the basics of good nutrition and well-being with our online video seminar series
Healthy Eating Made Easy: Employees who participate in this five-session online Healthy Eating Made Easy series learn how to make the right food choices for good health. This five-session series will cover:
- Session 1: Focus on Whole Grains
- Session 2: Which Fats are Healthy?
- Session 3: Discover the Benefits of Fruits and Veggies
- Session 4: Power up with Protein
- Session 5: Get the 411 on How Drinks Impact your Diet
Your Best Self: A Guide to Achieving a Balanced Well-being: Help your employees become the best version of themselves with the six-session online Your Best Self series, which focuses on all aspects of well-being and vitality — physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Your employees will learn practical skills to help them create a personal blueprint for achieving optimal health. Sessions include:
- Session 1: Achieve Optimal Well-being: Tips for a Well-balanced Life
- Session 2: Your Guide to Creating Healthy Personal Boundaries
- Session 3: Quick Ways to Improve Your Physical Well-being
- Session 4: Cultivating a Healthy Mind through Meditation and Creativity
- Session 5: Nurture Your Emotional Well-being
- Session 6: Living with Purpose: The Importance of Spiritual Well-being
Energy Crisis Diverted: Help your employees find simple solutions to stop their energy drains. This online seminar demonstrates different kinds of energy as well as the relationship between stress and energy levels and mood.
Take the guesswork out of running an event with ready-made well-being challenges
Set up and run a comprehensive health promotion event anytime, anywhere with our professionally designed, do-it-yourself, ready-made programs. Each pre-packaged program contains everything you need to organize, advertise, plan, and execute your event, saving you the time and effort of designing a program from scratch.
- Maintain, Don’t Gain!: The Maintain, Don’t Gain! Healthy Holiday Challenge is a six-week program that encourages employees to maintain or lose weight through education on nutrition and fitness. Each participant will weigh in at the beginning of the program and weigh out at the end. The coordinator will track each participant’s weight at the beginning and again at the end of the program.
- Losers R Winners: The Losers R Winners toolkit is designed to help educate your employees about the importance of adopting healthy habits.
- Great American Smokeout®: Every year, on the third Thursday in November, smokers across the nation participate in the American Cancer Society’s Great American Smokeout by smoking less or quitting for the day. The event challenges people to stop using tobacco and raises awareness of the many effective ways to quit for good.Our Great American Smokeout employer toolkit involves pairing a smoker with a non-smoking partner or “buddy” who will support them throughout the day as they try to remain smoke-free. Participants are encouraged to sign up in pairs to ensure the smoker is comfortable and friendly with the person who will assist them throughout the day.
These ready-made programs include:
- Tips and guidelines
- Promotional flyers
- Registration forms
- Participant welcome letter
- Certificates of completion
- Program evaluation forms
- Additional items based on program topic
Engage your employees with onsite well-being services
Bringing preventive health screenings and well-being activities directly to your employees at the workplace is an effective way to establish a culture of well-being. By doing this, you create opportunities for employees to easily engage in well-being services and activities, while increasing the visibility of your well-being initiative.
To help you with planning and scheduling services, we have created a resource list of vendors for onsite screenings, flu shots, fitness classes, and a variety of interactive activities and educational programs. While Independence has worked with all of these organizations, it does not endorse individual vendors, products, or services. Any reference herein to any vendor, product, or service by trade name, trademark, or otherwise does not constitute or imply the endorsement, recommendation, or approval of Independence. Independence assumes no responsibility for consequences resulting from the use of the information herein.
Promote healthy living with our signature events
Throughout the year, Independence sponsors several events that encourage members to embrace a healthy, active lifestyle.